Cloud Security Assessments
One of the fundamental challenges for any organization operating in any major public cloud provider is understanding its responsibilities under the shared-responsibility model.
Graphics like the one to the right can make it seems simple; however, the line between provider and customer changes for each different service. When using a service like AWS Lambda, the cloud provider will handle all the operating system and networking, but customers are still responsible for the firewall. In our Lambda example, the provider handles the platform and much of the access management, but the application is solely on the customer to ensure it is secure.
PrimeHarbor can assist your organization in understanding its overall cloud security and governance posture and provide guidance on areas of strength and improvement.
Some of the areas we can assess:
- Telemetry - Is your organization collecting the right log data? Based on your risk profile, is that data being fed into the appropriate systems?
- Organizations & account management - How is your organization using AWS Organizations? What is your account strategy? Can you reach the subject matter experts for that account or application if there is a vulnerability, misconfiguration, or incident?
- Big-Gaping-Security Holes - What major security misconfigurations exist in your environment? What are the top things to focus on from a remediation standpoint?
- Preventative Controls - How do you mature your cloud security & governance to ensure that misconfigurations and risks aren’t introduced into the environment? How do you safely fix security issues without introducing additional operational risk?
Departmental or Team Assessments
PrimeHarbor believes that security starts with the teams building and running the applications in the cloud. Whether developers, DevOps engineers, sysadmins, or SREs, they make the day-to-day micro-decisions that impact an organization’s cloud security. As part of a training package, PrimeHarbor can conduct a focused assessment of a department or team’s cloud security. Rather than focusing on what the security team should be doing, this assessment will focus on the strengths and improvement opportunities of the cloud footprint for a specific department or team.
Some of the areas we will assess:
- CI/CD practices and how we can prevent misconfigurations while still allowing teams to operate at the speed of the cloud.
- What are the high-risk and exploitable misconfigurations, and what are the lower-risk misconfigurations?
- What would be a strategy for the burn-down of your CSPM findings?
- Where do we see cloud security issues continue to occur?
With this assessment, PrimeHarbor will provide a report to the departmental leadership with tactics and strategies to help reduce risk while maintaining velocity. Interactions with your security team don’t have to be painful; PrimeHarbor can help.