VMWare ESXi 4.1 looks incredibaly interesting. It has better monitoring functions, better authentication integration and other cool features. I need to upgrade.
Sadly, the CPU in my current VMWare host doesn’t support the Intel vt extensions so it won’t run 64bit VMs, and it won’t support ESXi 4.1. So I’m looking at having to drop at least a grand to get a new server capable of running the latest VMWare. My Media Center PC could do it, but sadly, the Shuttle PC I was going to make my Media Center PC has a dead power supply, and Shuttle doesn’t carry accessories anymore.
Anyway, once the iTV ships, I can retire the Media PC and convert it to an ESXi host. Once I do that, here are a list of Virtual Appliances I want to play with:
- CAINE (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment), Digital Forensics and Security distro
- LogLogic Log Management Virtual Appliance
- HP LeftHand P4000 Virtual SAN Appliance (VSA) Software
- vSphere Management Assistant (vMA) [appliance for vSphere CLI, vSphere SDK for Perl, and SMI-S]
- TurnKey Amazon EC2 SDK Appliance